Monday, November 8, 2010

Diwali at Lubumbashi


I remember, Diwali was huge when we lived in the BHELTownship at Trichy, we looked forward to the next one even before the ongoing festival saw the last of its fireworks. It was all about firecrackers, sweets and new clothes. My brother and I were even branded ‘Pandis’ by our ‘Mallu’ Cousins for being too ‘Tamil’ and for not making an effort to be ‘Mallu’. We were never offended by that remark, because we were infact more 'Tamil'. Once we relocated to Chennai, we found it stressful to go about celebrating Diwali with the same amount of vigour, the main road travelled right by our door step and we did not find enough space and company to fire our more sophisticated crackers. Slowly we weaned away from active participation and resorted to just being the audience. Then came a phase when I couldn’t  take the noise anymore, to purposely staying away in solidarity with the child workers employed in the Industry. The Diwali delicacies were always a hit, but were not painstakingly made at home anymore, we did not buy them either, boxes came from work and some delivered by contacts from work, in the end it became quite an effort to finish them.

Fast forward to Lubumbashi. We came here with no expectations, none at all, of the place or people. Lubumbashi has surpassed all our expectations though, in 6 months I feel so much at home already. I was planning to learn Swahili, switched to French when I learnt most people spoke the language, being the official language of DRC, well, French has a more universal appeal too. However when I went for my 1st Kitty party, I realised I had to learn Gujrati as well. Gujratis are to Africa as Malayalis are to the Middle East. Today am happy to see Indians, be it ‘Mallus’, ‘Tallus’, ‘Gujjus’, ‘Bongs’…anybody Indian, and I don't have to strain my eyes at all, I see them everywhere. In my estimate there are about 1000 families.

This year, we had no idea how we were going to usher in the festival till a week before Diwali. Then the invitations came pouring in. The 1st one from the Tamil Community here ( was there one??? ). We were told there were 10-12 families and many more bachelors. We were looking forward to meeting them. Then we heard, my husband’s work place was organizing a private party at an Indian Restaurant. Both parties at the same time, same day, one day after Diwali. How were we going to prioritise?? We heard the Indian Community was holding a carnival at the Temple Premises on Diwali Eve. This temple is a work-in-progress, and the 1st in Lubumbashi.

I couldn’t wait for the events to unfold, the same exuberance I had as a child came pounding in, I was like a cat on a hot tin roof. Have we ever heard of an event unfolding without hiccups??? Rain came showering furiously…Love the rains, but not when am going out, not when my childhood enthusiasm to be part of the Diwali festivities is back again, not when it's my first Diwali here. The Rain Gods were kind though…very kind. Rain stopped just short of the Diwali ‘Muhurtham’. Diyas on, should I call them diyas??? Glorified tea candles more like it, scented too, apple, chocolate, citrus, lavender and cinnamon…a mish mash of perfumes. Never mind…the light emanating from them was more important. Dressed in a traditional maroon and mustard Salwar Kameez, and heavy jewellery, we reached the Temple premises for more display of colour and light, ending with a short burst of fireworks and dinner. Back home sleepy, but electrifyingly  fulfilled. The child in me was thoroughly rejoiced. 

The next day, Saturday, a working day, Diwali boom still in the air, we are pondering how to make an appearance at both parties…more, how to enjoy them both. The benevolent Rain Gods decide precipitation can't be held back, they decide to celebrate their own Diwali before our parties begin. Hailstones come crashing in around 5pm. For an hour or so, it was thunderous, and painful on the collecting hands. So beautiful!!! Truly thoughtful gesture, all was done before 7pm. No room for traditional wear today with water everywhere, we reached the venue to celebrate with the Tamil Community first, one of the first ones to arrive, not very unusual, carrying a very non-traditional tray of brownies. We barely say hello before we have to wave our goodbyes, to arrive at the Indian Restaurant to celebrate with my Husband’s colleagues and their families. Games had already begun, we were punished for arriving late, a request for song and dance was met with reluctance, hence substituted with a short speech from both of us. Those people who hadn’t seen the reclusive Premkumar family…there!!! A lavish Indian Spread, a game of Tambola, Bollywood Music and disorganized and ‘rhythmless’ dancing on the makeshift dance floor. Typically Indian and fun!!! It was time to shut shop at midnight, got back home sleepy yet again....but extremely happy.

The Finale was to take place in the evening on Sunday at the Temple Premises, again…starting with games and ending with dinner. After a hectic Friday and Saturday, most people probably thought the same…'we are not going to win anything’ and ‘let’s get ready for Monday’. We decided to skip the do after reaching the venue and finding a small count of people, for a simple Chinese dinner at the Greek Club. Nothing traditional about it. At the end of the Weekend…all I have is…

What a fabulous Diwali…happy, colourful and safe…just like I had wished all my Friends and Family. 

2 comments:

I Witness said...

Can relate to most of your childhood memories of Diwali .... and being branded a "Paandi" .... your narration made it feel like I was there celebrating with P and U .... you need to write more often and keep us enthralled !!!

Priya Kurup Premkumar said...

Thank you!!! look who's talking...I don't see you writing...what happened??? Re-start please :-)