Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Pot calling the Kettle 'black' !!!


I have always felt very strongly about this issue and I seethe with anger when people make insensitive remarks about a person’s colour. Racial discrimination is often associated with the western world but are we in a position to judge??? Aren’t Indians racists themselves??? We condone it, we don't have the strictures to punish culprits and we also encourage it. The Pot calling the Kettle black!!!

Living in Africa, it’s embarassing when I am looked at as White. That does not mean am respected for my colour. Like anywhere in the world, Indians belong to a group of intellectuals and traders here. However, we are known more for being petty, miserly and egotistical. We are also known to live unremarkable lives. Our own refer to their staff  and unskilled workers as 'Kale'. Do they not have names or occupations??? Don't they deserve some respect??? It makes me shudder everytime.

Back home in India, I am called ‘black’ by an extended family member, someone, who is a few shades darker than I am. If that is not called racism, what is??? I am asked to use ‘Fair and Lovely’, I refuse because my mirror says I am ‘fair’ and lovely. Has anyone become fair and lovely after use, I would like to know. I have had teachers in school sending me to the sidelines in favour of the fair and lovely. I didn’t realise it till someone pointed it out. I have never paid any attention to my colour or somebody else’s, have never wondered how different it would be if I were light skinned. Credit must be given to my parents for not making me feel any different.

The fact that India is divided into North and South India itself has racial connotations, is it not?? The social and political ethos of the country actually promotes caste, gender and racial discriminations and we are shamelessly not shameful. We have become characterised by reservations. I understand it is difficult to demolish caste systems. However, I see no effort being made in that direction either. Infact, the root of this evil is getting stronger and deeper. The only people who deserve concessions and reservations, in my opinion, are those belonging to the economically backward.

Let’s do a check on the matrimonial advertisements…a cry for a beautiful, slim and fair bride for a boy whose physical attributes don’t find a mention. He may not be Prince Charming but do they care??? I’ve heard eligible men proclaim ignorance when it comes to these advertisements. In my opinion, if they don’t stand up for what they believe in, they are guilty as charged. Ignorance is not bliss. At a wedding how many talk about the bridegroom and his physical attributes, the attention is solely on the bride, from what she wears, her clothes and jewellery, how close she is to that ‘yardstick’ and most importantly her colour. In a conversation, when a man or a woman is being described, one of the first characteristics that is talked about is his or her colour. In India, even in a Man’s world, is ‘tall, dark and handsome’ ever in use??? The ‘dark’ is always substituted by ‘fair’.

The racist attacks on Indians in Australia, sikhs being asked to take off their turbans at airports, muslims being given the dressing down, all of them have been condemned by the Indian Government in the strongest terms. How about starting from our own backyard??? I personally don’t like the term ‘Madrasi’. How can all South Indians be called ‘Madrasis’??? Doesn’t that carry a racial undertone??? What about ‘chinkies’ for North Easterners??? Haven’t they emphasised enough, they don’t approve of it??? How about treating foreigners of African origin right?? Most of them are students who come to India with a lot of expectations, the land of Mahatma Gandhi, the land of non-violence. How many have gone back home with happy memories?? They are ridiculed by adults and children alike, treated like animals and are victims of stares and nasty comments. On the other hand, 'Whites' are treated like Rockstars, people unabashedly patronise them from all directions, much to their annoyance.

The celebrities advocate liberalism, it’s a sign of modern India and they have to be part of it. Frontline Bollywood has a major stake in running the country. Their opinions from politics to sports are on the front pages. People want to see them and politicians exploit their status and vice-versa. A case of ‘you scratch my back, I’ll scratch yours’. What is to be noticed, one hardly finds these celebrities partnering someone dark skinned or unattractive, whether they are actors , models or cricketers. They are the same group of people who advertise ‘Fair and Lovely’ and also preach liberalism. How bizarre!!!

We live in hypocrisy, where treating another with respect is an assignment, a task, where gender, class, caste and racial discriminations flow in our blood. We learn what our parents teach us. I believe discipline and respect is taught at home, not in school. When kids are not taught to respect humanity, no amount of education or religious beliefs can make their lives right. It’s time to break the cycle and it should start now.

Stop Racial Discrimination!!!

4 comments:

Sireesha said...

Well written, Pri! Keep up the good work and the talent in you.

Priya Kurup Premkumar said...

Thank you very much Sireesha, really appreciate it :-)

charm school said...

I don't mean to be critical but only realize if you take offense to be called "black", then you're also have issues as well.

Priya Kurup Premkumar said...

Agree but I think you missed the larger perspective of the story.