Saturday, September 25, 2010

Eclectic and Eccentric....Uniquely me!!!


1) I was born on 27-09-72. Every number in this three fold code adds up to the number 9.

2) As a child, I thought people who sang on the radio were 'teeny tiny' people.

3) I was a very proud singer as a child, until I was red signalled by my brother, who said I reminded him of a donkey. He looked so serious. :-)

4) I often dream about going to an examination hall ill-equipped. In reality, I have had no such experience. However it is safe to say, I am not looking forward to writing another one in my life.

5) I do not believe in God and am not quite sure what to make of that divine force people often talk about. I go by the simple philosophy ' Hold on to your integrity...expect the unexpected and face upto it'. Where is the need to look upto that unknown called 'God'?? Thank you Dad!!!

6) I love being on my own, do not get bored easily, love doing movies, shopping, lunches on my own.

7) I love my funny side and find it 'funny' that some people find it 'funny' that I am funny. What's so funny??? :-)

8) I do not work for a living, not that I haven't tried. I cannot switch off from work mode when I am at home. I was as shocked as my closest family and friends, to discover I was endowed with nifty housekeeping skills. Those non-skills have now efficiently balanced out the roles Prem and I play within our marriage. And people who condescend on full time home keepers and call them 'duds'...boo hoo!!!

9) Have any of you seen me slim??? I have not. Surprisingly that has never bruised my ego. The flip side, I cannot find the motivation to 'treadmill' my weight down. Must admit I'd love to see that toned, athletic 'me' right this minute. Fashion rules over fitness when it comes to motivation.....Tongue's out:-)

10) In my imaginary life, I am an athlete ( the sport changes everyday ), a part-time journalist ( in a broader sense ), a back packer, a motorcyclist and a psychologist. One for every working day.

11) I love sports...not playing them...just watching them. F1, Tennis, Cricket, Volleyball, Athletics, Swimming, Golf...At least am not watching trash!!!

12) You will never see me wear what regular people wear on the streets. I wear my own style and I find myself rocking on, quite oblivious of the passers by.

13) I love decorating houses for a hobby. I do mine ( redecorating ), every other week. At the end of the rearranging spree, I see a brand new home. Am nomadic. Have never felt attached to a house or a place so far.

14) Am clumsy, careless and crazy. I reprimand myself for that, but I continue being all of them without any effort.

15) I don't believe in 'evil eyes', horoscopes, tarot cards, numerology, palm reading and the like. I believe one ends up focusing blindly on the future instead of living happily in the present. Not to add the depression when the forecast doesn't sound pretty.

16) I was a bully growing up. I was the oldest in my group of friends from the hood and that 'bummed' me to excel in attention seeking tomfoolery at the expense of my younger friends. You guys know who you are. Am sorry...but I cant stop laughing, thinking about it now.

17) I have never felt the need to have kids. I am not particularly good with them. Love to watch babies do their silly little things, bite my tongue and pull my eyebrows out of love. I think I would have made a good mother. Some people choose not to get married, some choose not to have kids. Let them be.

18) I come across as arrogant and materialistic. People who know me well know am far from it. If you are surprised, its time to know me.

19) I believe I have a mild case of OCD. Am very finicky about time schedules, numbers and the arrangement of furniture at home. P...bear with me !!!

20) I was scared of looking up at the night sky ( damn those UFO series ), now I fear someone jumping on me, while am looking up. I am also afraid of the ocean. I feel powerless and small in that enormous expanse of water. I fear roaring thunder and blinding lightning in the still of the night.

21) Am procrastination personified. Am orderly most of the time, but when the procrastination monster visits me, I feel sorry for the people around me.

22) My Mother taught me the values of life. I don't credit her at all. Thank you ma!!! I realise today, how important they are. My father did a brilliant job teaching me the philosophy of life. Between them they have done a marvellous job raising my brother and me.

23) My Father told me pretty early in life that I should not burden him with the herculean task of finding a 'boy' for me. I started dating early and all he said was I should know where to draw the line. Wow!!!

24) I am bad with spellings. I cant write a paragraph without using spellcheck. I still count like am three. I use my fingers, and dots on paper. I do the addition, subtraction, multiplication and division just as we did, for the first time in class I or II. Its deplorable, but I enjoy doing it that way. I guess it is because my Math has not progressed beyond grade II.

25) I started wearing spectacles when I was 5. I was tormented in school and called 'Paati'. To avoid the embarrassment, I took off my glasses once my house was out of sight and wore them in the evening when it was back in sight again. I continued this trend till I was 10, when a classmate started wearing them.

26) I was sent to learn classical dance when I was 7. After a year or two, I stopped attending classes, without my parents knowledge and learnt cycling on the sly. I don't remember being given the dressing down, but was strictly told never to lie, even in omission. A lesson I learnt that day, I still practice today.

27) When I was young, very young, I thought lemon pickle was made from dead human noses. Why dead??? Coz I didn't see a single person on the road without a nose. Believe me, I looked out for those 'noseless' people for a while.

28) I may not be intelligent, but am aware of the world around me and the the history of it. However, when we gather around for some fun, I love being goofy and childlike. I hate the sound of politics and shameless display of knowledge and Intelligence. I believe there are other forums for it.

29) I suck at multitasking and admire women who do it...home, work, travel et all. I secretly wish I could smarten up there, but over the years I have realised I am better off being 'me'. Am aware of my strengths and weaknesses. The latter can fill a barrel. Bottom line. I love doing what I do everyday.

30) I love writing. Nothing special there, but once I start I cannot stop. I cannot be discreet. I am opinionated. This manuscript itself has become a thick tabloid mag. I assure you, what you read is 100% 'me'. Eccentric and Eclectic!!!


.....through my eyes

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi!Loved every bit of your writing.....its beautiful and very honest....keep writing gal!!! U have it in you to excel in what ever you do.....Keep the good work going.....Lots of love & Best Wishes....DAD BLESS YOU!!!

Priya Kurup Premkumar said...

Thank you very much Kanchu...really appreciate it :-)Lots of love back

Seema said...

Very well written Priya! Oh! ask me what all u did to bully us & make us feel so low, lost & scared too.....But truely, those were great moments of childhood & i really miss those days! If only the clock would go back in time....

Priya Kurup Premkumar said...

Thanks Seema...written a year ago you know, do you remember any of those incidents, would love to hear and laugh about it...today, am being bullied. LOL!!!