Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Sunday, a Fun day...a 'Holi' day!!!


A day that began with a craving for South Indian Breakfast, for idlis, dosas and vadas, something that rarely gets made at home, something P and I love, in my case I prefer to have them at Restaurants, they are simply better, a day that ended with a flourish, at the Company’s apartment building.

I have always been fascinated with vibrant colours, on clothes, in houses, in gardens, around the city and on faces. This is precisely why am mesmerised by this small city, these colours are everywhere. When it comes to 'Holi', I love to douse people with colours, when it's my turn, I prefer to hide. Despite the fun and frolic associated with the festival, I choose to stay away and P is in tandem with me.

The Das’ and us decide to have a quiet South Indian brunch at ‘Royal India’. This place, in our experience has always been consistent with their ‘chow’ and their personal touch makes it more welcoming. We are the only ones around at noon, we walk around sloppily, laugh loudly, talk carelessly, all in gay abandon. We order our vadas, idlis, dosas and, mutton pepper fry for that hint of 'carnivourism'. We get talking about the day ahead, the day that has just gone by, to think we just met the previous day. I believe, it’s not what one eats but the captivating company that one shares during these food trips that makes it special. Yes, food is a very important accessory, especially for us. We take our own sweet time over this delightful brunch, the end is spiced up with a lovely cold cardamom milk, compliments of the Restaurant.

We decide to go for a drive, to this quaint little shack by the lake called ‘Riviera’. We reach 'Riviera' and find the place closed, we also meet a friendly colleague of P’s, whom he can't recognize. We drive back to the main road and towards the Golf area, we decide to go to Le Centaure, a small Horse Club, we check out the magnificent stallions in their stables and then go up to the watch tower to soak in the landscape that spreads out in front of us. The most prominent landmark in Lubumbashi is in sight, the Gecamines Plant. After a few pictures we drive to Cercle Hippique de Lubumbashi ( hope I’ve got the name right ). On our way we pass through a crowd, of people, vehicles and buildings, the view abruptly becomes panoramic, the road itself goes up and down. Among the cloud of trees is the picturesque Horse Club owned by the M Forrest group, vast, scenic and quiet. The Restaurant is charming and outdoors, with a view of their Show Jumping course and the stables on the side. A lovely gallery overlooks the course. Can’t wait to have a nice long lunch there. After going through the schedule of their show jumping events, we move away from the little ‘countryside’ on to the road again. We go around a few more residential colonies and head home to the Das’ for some ‘chai’.

We haven’t had our ‘chai’ yet, Das has a Eureka moment. We decide to visit the other apartment mates for some 'Holi' fun. All of them seem to be in deep slumber, even a cricket match involving India attracts no attention. We decide to wait until one door opens for us, the Patels are first. We welcome ourselves in with a palette of colours and smear the dazed faces with them. After a glass of juice, we  move on to the Agarwals with the Patels, some snacks and ‘chai’ this time, the Agarwals included, we move to the Modis, with the Modis to the Bhattacharyas,  after a few 'pakodas', we go to the second of the Das’ for coffee. We think we are done with the 'Holi' fun but not yet. The final stop is at Saishree and Das’s for some cut fruits. By now we are huddled around playing 'musical chairs', with the kids playing in the centre. P and I stay back for an impromptu ‘un-Holi’ dinner with them. Now the day ends.

Am still charged when we return home, when it is time to sleep I fight it. I want to talk about the day, I want to write about it, I want to relive it but hubby dear is already fast asleep. I go through the day on my own, over and over again, like a song in my head. I must have fallen asleep sometime, when I wake up I realise it’s Monday and it’s time for my blues.

A day that became ‘Holi’!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe you will want to get a facebook icon to your site. I just marked down the site, although I must make it by hand. Just my advice.

Priya Kurup Premkumar said...

Thanks, also let me know how to go about it :-)