Saturday, May 28, 2011

My Little Red Riding Hood!!!


There’s anguish when I say I don’t know her very well, haven’t seen much of her either, blame it on our overseas assignment. Then again, we do meet briefly every Sunday, thanks to technology. Who does she think we are, I often ponder, People on a small screen TV or just people who visit her via laptop??? Either way, our rendezvous makes for some animated conversation, us in English and her in a language, which bears no name. In the midst of all the baby talk, we are also introduced to her new moves and wares, cruising in-between people moving in and out of our radar.

My most endearing moment came last week. We had not met her for close to a month. She had been on a busy touring schedule. I was busy myself, losing sleep over an image of her having forgotten our exisitence on her return and, having to make our grand entrance all over again. How silly!!! She did know me as that woman who performed her own lousy rendition of ‘Ol' Mc Donald’ every week, repeating the verse about pigs over and over again. 'A wee-wee here and a wee-wee there' was enough to get her started into her chuckling rountine. I would put my own routine on pause, just to give her and us some time to absorb the moment. Coming back to last Sunday, we were pleasantly surprised to see her break into a guffaw when we connected, unquestionably ecstatic to see us. She then turned to her Father and Grandmother sitting on her either side, probably to check if they were as elated. In a few seconds she turned coy, displayed with her tiny finger in her mouth. Then the finale, her new exhibits, a book on birds and a miniature candy pink cup from her basket of toys.

I present to you my adorable 15month old niece, Baby Manasi, the apple of ‘Indraprastha’ and certainly enjoying every bit of attention under the big bright sun.

Here’s a dedication to her, my most loved Nursery rhyme to date, as I remember it. I have no idea where this rhyme originated or if it were actually taught in school. It features one of my favourite farm animals…the pig. As for ‘piggy’, I absolutely love his pout.

Piggy on the Railway

Picking up stones;

Down came an engine,

Broke Piggy’s bones.

“Ah ! “ said Piggy,

“That’s not fair”,

“ Oh !” said the engine driver,

“I don’t care !”

The first of many….

No comments: